Diet Coke: Is It Bad Or Good For You?
One of the frequently asked questions about Diet coke is whether it is healthy or not. They want to know if it contributes to weight gain or helps in weight loss. Let us start by answering the first question.
Does Diet Coke Lead to Weight Gain? What are the health concerns?
The answer is no. Diet soda may taste sweet but contains no added sugar and has low calories. They are only sweetened with artificial sweeteners. The FDA has approved the use of high-intensity sweeteners like Advantame, Acesulfame Potassium, Stevia, Aspartame, Monk Fruit Extract, Saccharin, Sucralose, and Neotame for use in drinks and other foods.
Since there is no sugar content, you are free from all sugar-related calories. No calories mean no weight gain because you only gain weight when you consume more calories than you burn. That notwithstanding, diet soda still comes with some health concerns.
- Artificial sweeteners are chemicals, which can have side effects and some of them can cause cancer in the long round.
- The sweetener can make you crave more sweets; hence, can lead you to into taking sugar.
- The body reacts to sweeteners just as it does to sugar, therefore, may process it the same way.
- Diet soda can contribute to obesity despite its zero sugar
- There is some evidence of it contributing to kidney disorder
How much Diet Coke you can drink daily
Everything has its limit. Sweeteners used in diet soda are FDA approved; however, you should take them with precaution. The amount of diet coke you can take in a day depends on your lifestyle and eating habit. Although it is low in calories, the amount of meat, eggs, carbohydrate, pasta, and other food you take in a day also matters. If you take a high amount of the mentioned foods, you need to be moderate in your diet soda consumption.
Secondly, diet coke contains some amount of caffeine, and high consumption of it has its consequences. A lot of caffeine in your system can cause sleep deprivation and anxiety.